Sunday, June 13, 2010

Precious Moments

These last few weeks at Baby Centre have been full of precious moments. I find myself being blessed over and over again by the little lives that God has rescued and put in our care. I often feel like they are blessing me more than I am being a blessing to them!

A couple weeks ago we piled all the toddlers into the Land Cruiser with six of us adults and headed up the hill to "The Castle" as it is known. It is really more of a large estate that is owned by one of the Universities here in town. They have lots of rabbits and some llamas and tortoises running around the grounds and the kids absolutely loved seeing all the animals! It was a joy to see them interacting outside of the Baby Centre compound and enjoying the little side trip.We all had a great time walking around and seeing the animals (we even got chased by a llama...that was rather traumatic for some of the children!). After we had tired all the kids out, we sat in the field out in front of the estate and started playing games with the kids. Colleen, one of the other VIA on the field, made a little headband out of the long grass for one of the kids and started a new trend! The kids were lining up at Colleen wanting sone sort of grass jewelry placed on them. It was so sweet to see them all trying to keep their grass headbands and bracelets on while running back to the car when it was time to head back to Baby Centre.

Kids gathering around Colleen
Brandon showing off his grass headband

Earlier this week all of the other VIA went to Tenwek with a few of the Baby Centre babies who needed medical checkups so I was the only volunteer out at Baby Centre for a couple days. During one of those days I was sitting out in the play yard with Joyce, the nurse at Baby Centre, when several of the older kids noticed that Joyce was holding Ezra, one of the tiny babies here. Manu, Brandon and Johnny came running over wanting to know the baby’s name. Joyce told them his name was Ezra and they repeated saying “Oh. Ez-a-ra”. After they finally got his name down they each asked if they could hold him. It was so precious to see older kids taking an interest in the little ones and caring so much for this tiny little baby. Joyce helped each of them hold Ezra and thankfully I had my camera there to capture it all :)

Brandon learning Ezra's name


Manu holding Ezra while Brandon looks on

Johnny holding Ezra

My last precious moment I want to tell you about happened just a few days ago and involves a sweet little girl named Precious. Precious is a beautiful, tiny five-day-old baby who has had a very rough start to her life. She was rescued from a pit latrine the day she was born and came to Baby Centre a couple days later. I find such joy in knowing that her little life was saved and that she is now in a place where she will know love and grow to know the One who rescued her. I got teary eyed as I sat and rocked her just minutes after she had been brought to Baby Centre. I was so thankful to the Lord for rescuing her little life, and I also was heartbroken for all the other children who start life like Precious but are never rescued. Please remember Precious in your prayers as she has some health issues from her rough start in life.

Baby Precious

I am so thankful for the AGC Baby Centre and the part they are playing in these children’s lives and the part they play in being an example to the country of Kenya. I am blessed to be a small part of the work here for a short time. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and that you are able to take note of the precious moments in your life!

Lizz

No comments:

Post a Comment